Obesity is the condition in which the weight and accumulated fat of a person has reached a level that significantly affects their health, longevity, circulatory system, respiratory system, skeletal system and sleep in addition to other parts of their life and body.
Obese persons are more likely to develop a number of potentially serious health problems, including:
- High cholesterol and triglycerides
- Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Metabolic syndrome — a combination of high blood sugar, high blood pressure, high triglycerides and high cholesterol
- Heart disease
- Cancer, including cancer of the uterus, cervix, ovaries, breast, colon, rectum and prostate
- Sleep apnea, a potentially serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts
- Gallbladder disease
- Gynecologic problems, such as infertility and irregular periods
- Erectile dysfunction and sexual health issues, due to deposits of fat blocking or narrowing the arteries to the genitals
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, a condition in which fat builds up in the liver and can cause inflammation or scarring
- Skin problems, such as poor wound healing
Obesity is described as ‘Medoroga’ or ‘Sthaulya Roga’ in Ayurveda. Continuous indulgence in high fat food, fried items, etc., along with sedentary life-style leads to excess accumulation of body fat which gets deposited in the numerous body channels.
At CHARAKA, Special programs are included in Obesity therapy with the purpose to cut down excess fat, to correct the irregular metabolism and to clear the body channels.
Deep dry Udwarthana with herbal powders and pastes, synchronized Abyanga with specific oils, steam bath, Dhanyamla dhara etc., mobilize the accumulated fat, whereas, specially designed Panchakarma procedures for detoxification clears & prevent its further accumulation. Diet & Life style modifications plays a important role in the management of Obesity. Practice of specific yoga postures is also advised to reduce body weight. Along with these, appropriate Ayurvedic internal medicines are also used to achieve the best results, without any side effects.
Treatment schedule usually ranges between 3 – 5 weeks to suit the individuals requirement.